Mwanza Glenn a force to recon with .



The silhouette, the curves, the volume of the many dresses I bring to life; along with the many wraps I create, is how I Mwanza Mainza Glenn embrace fashion.
Designing, one of my first loves, has been one of the many talents I have displayed since early childhood. Influenced and encouraged mainly by my mother, who sews and has used many of my designs for her customers, I continually persevered in order to enhance my ability as a budding designer.
I was further inspired when, at the age of eleven, I used one of my sketches for an art examination and was awarded an excellent grade. I can still remember my art teacher telling me, " that was very creative, and don't ever stop doing it."

In 2009 I sent an application to be a participant in Facts Three (3) and it was accepted. I can remember going into the competition very confident. I thought I was the only teenager with my level of ability, but I soon came to the realization that Guyana truly has a lot of undiscovered talent. The competition did not take the route I expected, but I was satisfied with my position as a finalist. I really enjoyed interacting and learning from my colleagues as well as the experienced designers. I was also taught how to bring costumes to life. This adventure caused me to see the word fashion at a whole new level.

In the year 2010, I launched my first collection " Blaque Buzz" at Guyana Fashion Weekend. It was a partnership effort with another designer. The experience was quite enlightening as I brought my designs from concept to reality. I was exposed to the public and was contacted by several clients who wanted some pieces, one of which was an African wedding attire.
I opened the year 2011 with preparations for the annual Inter School Mash costume competition. The two costumes which I designed and made for Richard Ishmael Secondary School placed first in the individual categories and third in the group category.
Thereafter I started preparing for Theatrical Spectacular, a show that was staged in April. This show celebrated the evolution of fashion. I was the main designer featured in the final part of the show which depicted the  Afro-centric theme for Guyana Fashion Weekend 2011.
 
Weeks after I was one of the featured designers in the annual Easter Hat show, where three of my African head dresses were showcased.
One week after this, because of my artistic background and experience, I was offered the position as an Art Director in "Beached,"one of the many movies apart of a worldwide film festival.
In July my designs were featured at the Ministry of Culture Youth and Sport's African Show and Exhibition, at the Square of the Revolution. My designs were later showcased at the Ifa House of Santeria Pre Emancipation Grand Cultural Extravaganza, the launching of Guyana Fashion Weekend and at "African Celebration"- a production staged by the National Dance Company of Guyana.

Working  under the Label Wanza's Designs , my  designs has graced numerous stages , from the Guyana Folk Fest,New York, best high fashion piece  worn at the Miss United Nation Pageant 2012 , by Soyini Fraser Miss United Nation 2012 to The Mother and Daughter Pageant 2012 winners,at  Miss Guyana Universe and at Miss Bartica Regatta. Making presentation at The Inter Guianas Cultural Festival 2012, The Baganara Resort Mother's Day getaway, the Help and Shelter foundation charity fashion show and auction and  several presentation at Guyana Wedding Expo.
  
2013 Break me with awesome news, of being hand selected to represent Guyana at Mission Catwalk Season 3 , the Caribbean reality fashion designing competition filmed Jamaica .That experience would for ever be remembered, learning and being around other young individuals who has the same dreams as me  and there approach to the industry.


As of to-date  Mwanza's pieces  are retailed at two stores ;Sonia Noel Designs ,Barr Street Kitty and  soon to be , at K and Y Exclusive,195 Camp street . 

In addition to sketching, measuring and designing, I see myself as a multi-talented individual. I am a member of the National Dance Company of Guyana , an actor appearing on a radio serial program and also a dance teacher ,I  enjoy volunteering, peer educating and being involved in all positive aspects of youth development.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Blocking , a new trend in fashion .

Three tips when choosing pageant gowns